What Robert's Rules Say...
Robert's Rules of Order: For over a century, it has been the favored authority on meeting procedure for non-legislative deliberative bodies in the United States. There are others, but when most people think of motions and ayes and noes, the name Robert comes to mind before all others.
Some love it, some hate it. Many claim to know it well, but few have actually read the book from cover to cover. It's often misused or misinterpreted. If I had a dollar for everytime someone said to me "Well, Robert's Rules says..." before launching into something completely off, I'd pretty well off.
So when the Junior League of Columbia asked me to give a lunch-time talk to their members about Robert's Rules, I leapt at the chance!
You can find a recording of that talk here!
Note: I'm not a Registered Parliamentarian, but I am a RONR fan who has had to dig into it at enough meetings. If you are a RP or PRP and you take exception to something I said, please email me and I'll be glad to correct it!
RESOURCES AND MORE INFO
- The Big Book: Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, 11th Edition
- 12th Edition is slated to be published in Fall 2020!
- The rules were relaxed for Committees/Small Boards.
- The Small Book: Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, In Brief, 2nd Edition.
- 3rd Edition is slated to be published in Fall 2020!
- If you are a presiding officer of a Committee, Board, Assembly, get this book and read it through! It will teach you the basics and how to use the Big Book!
- 12 Robert's Rules Meeting Procedure Myths - Article by C. Alan Jennings, PRP.
- Robert's Rules Motion Cheat Sheet - BoardEffect