To access past Together SC calls and related resources, please click here.
Below you will find links to third-party resources grouped according to the nine principles within Together SC's Guiding Principles & Best Practices:
- Strategic Direction & Partnerships
- Leadership & Organizational Culture
- Communications & Advocacy
- Legal Accountability & Transparency
- Financial Management & Stewardship
- Operations & Planning
If you have a favorite resource that's not included in the list, please let us know.
Guiding Principle 1 - Governance
Guiding Principle 2 - Strategic Direction and Partnerships
Guiding Principle 3 - Leadership & Organizational Culture
- How To Hire A Great Executive Director
Here’s what you need to do to find your next great Executive Director.
- Executive Compensation
A guide for the board of directors when hiring and establishing the compensation of the executive director/CEO.
- Evaluating Your Executive Director
Ten things every board member needs to know about evaluating their ED.
- How to Volunteer as a Senior
Millions of elderly people—those 65 and older—volunteer every year, but given this population is higher than 48 million (and projected to reach 80 million by 2050), there is plenty of room for growth.
- Making Founder Successions Work
Conventional wisdom suggests that a ‘clean break’ is the best way to transition a founder. But many nonprofits actually benefit when they carefully plan an extended role for founders who step down.
- Managing Nonprofit Employees
General guidance for employee management.
- Nonprofit Hiring Toolkit
The Nonprofit Hiring Toolkit explores important steps to the hiring process that, when done well and thoroughly, will help you find and hire the best talent for your open positions.
- Recruiting and Retaining Exceptional Talent for Nonprofit Organizations
Nonprofit organizations are most successful when they employ talented and dedicated individuals.
- Succession Planning for Nonprofits - Managing Leadership Transitions
Nonprofits that are serious about their own sustainability will also be serious about planning for smooth and thoughtful transitions of leadership - as well as making sure their nonprofit is prepared for unexpected departures.
- Tips to Motivate Your Volunteers and Keep Them Coming Back
Volunteers are valuable in themselves, and keep in mind that a committed volunteer could mean a committed donor, so keep them coming back.
- Valuing Volunteer Time
Guide for determining the value of volunteer time.
- Why Defining Your Nonprofit’s Culture Will Be the Most Important Thing You Do This Year
Company culture isn’t just for startups or corporations, it’s a vital and deep-seated part of each nonprofit’s DNA.
- Why Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity Matter for Nonprofits
Identify how to build the core values of diversity, inclusion, and equity into all of your nonprofit’s operations.
- Breaking Down Your Nonprofit's Obligation to Pay Overtime
The federal rules on overtime pay have been in flux since 2015, and new regulations could be proposed in 2018.
Guiding Principle 4 - Advocacy
Guiding Principle 4 cont. - Communications
Guiding Principle 5 - Legal Accountability and Transparency
SC Press Association's FAQ shares everything from how to file a FOIA request to how to respond to a request and everything in between.
Guiding Principle 6 - Financial Management and Stewardship
Guiding Principle 7 - Fundraising
Guiding Principle 8 - Operations and Planning
Guiding Principle 9 - Evaluation