Governor's Volunteer Awards
Recognizing those giving selflessly of their time
2024 Award Nominations will open this winter,
The Awards presented April 24, 2024 during National Volunteer Week.
About the Awards
The Governor's Volunteer Awards are issued every year to celebrate the dedicated people who make South Carolina a better place to live and work. Everyone who volunteers in South Carolina is a hero and deserving of recognition. For many of our dedicated volunteers the simple act of being nominated for such a significant award is an honor in itself.
Please take the time today to make the difference in the life of a volunteer. All nominees will receive a recognition letter on behalf of the Governor, Together SC, and United Way Association of South Carolina. Click here for the nomination form.
Winners are recognized in the following categories:
- Direct Service Volunteer
- Community Leader Volunteer
- Volunteer Group
- Youth Individual Volunteer
- Volunteer Family
- Workplace Agency / Association
- Legacy Volunteer
- Volunteer Administrator of the Year
- AmeriCorps Member of the Year (Selected by SC Service Commission)
Important Dates - TBD
- Only South Carolina residents performing volunteer services or activities in South Carolina are eligible.
- Previous winners are not eligible for the same award two years consecutively.
- Nominees must have been active within the past twelve months in the category of service for which they are nominated.
- Nominees for the Legacy Volunteer must have served a minimum of ten years of continual service with one agency, with no more than a three-year absence from volunteering during that period.
- All nominees must have served without financial gain, except for nominees in the category of Workplace Agency and Volunteer Administrator of the Year.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right to change a nominee’s category; you will be informed of any changes.
- Self-nominations are accepted.
- There is no limit to the number of individuals you nominate for each category; however, an individual may be nominated in only one category.
- The nomination may include only two files of pertinent supplementary material such as news articles, brochures, or letters of recommendation. This must be in an electronic format and attached to this form.
- Nominations become the property of Governor's Awards Committee and will not be returned.
- Nomination forms will only be accepted through this website. All nominations are due by November 30th at midnight.
- The Governor's Awards Committee reserves the ability not to name an award winner for any single category if sufficient nominations are not made in that category.
- Click here to complete the nomination form.
Professional volunteer administrators representing various areas of volunteerism from across our state will take part in the selection process. If a selection committee member works at the agency at which a nominee serves, he/she will be excluded from voting in that category. The selection committee may choose not to give an award in every category.