For Board Members!
First, thank you for saying "yes" and giving back to your community through board service.
We tend to think being an effective nonprofit board member comes to us naturally; we say yes out of passion and desire to do good, without much preparation.
Then, we find ourselves sitting around a table, or on a zoom call, with a group of strangers, thinking: “What do I do now?” “How do I have a positive impact?” “How do I make this worth my time?”
Leading as a volunteer among equals may require a different approach than leading at work, particularly when you first arrive.
Often there are expactations that you contribute your "time, talent and treasure" right away.
Together SC stands ready to assist leaders like you dedicated to community service, leadership, and caring through nonprofit organizations; leaders that are integral players in successfully building vibrant, equitable communities.
From best practices to technical briefs; from governance to financial management and fundraising issues; from board retreats to coaching calls – we aim to meet your indivudal needs.
Prefer to do some research on your own? The learning can be overwhelming, so we've curated a few resources that may be helpful:
- Board Roles and Responsibilities, National Council of Nonprofit's resource page has it all.
- Board CEO Relations, the Maine Association of Nonprofits has compiled links to great articles on this critical topic
- Board Orientation, See what should be covered in an effective orientation for new members.
- Board Chair CEO Division of Responsibilities, Joan Garry is a wonderful resource for all things governance
- Effective Board Meetings for Good Governance, who wants to sit through boring meetings, pay attention to agenda design.
- Financial Management, Learn how to read nonprofit financial statements and craft policies to guide financial decision-making with these resources
- Additional Resources on all kinds of topics
- Board Policies used by Together SC