Together SC Board adopts Racial & Social Equity Commitment
In the time since the 2020 SC Nonprofit Summit, "Facing Race Together", Together SC's own Board of Directors took stock of their policies and determined that they needed to articulate their own commitment to Racial and Social Equity.
Working with the staff and other experts to craft the Commitment, the Board officially adopted Policy 3.A.2. - "Racial and Social Equity Commitment" at its June 30, 2020 meeting.
POLICY CATEGORY: 3. MISSION & STRATEGIC DIRECTION
POLICY TYPE: 3.A. MISSION, VISION, & VALUES
POLICY TITLE: 3.A.2. Racial & Social Equity Commitment
Approved by Board of Directors – 06-30-20
Purpose: Charitable nonprofits are generally trusted and central members of their communities. Because of this trust, charitable nonprofits, including Together SC, can play an essential role in the movement for racial and social equity.
Policy: Together SC, through its work, aims to advance racial and social equity for a just society, in which all community members have access, supports, and opportunities to realize their full potential.
We the members of the Together SC Board of Directors, as leaders of South Carolina’s philanthropic, community, and charitable nonprofit organizations, commit this organization to building policies and demonstrating actions that support justice and inclusion for all.
Together SC, through its board and staff, and through those with whom we engage, will help achieve true and sustained equity through intentional, systemic, and transformative nonprofit-community partnerships and achieve equity in the communities we serve.
Specifically, we will set organizational goals and measure our efforts to:
- Increase cultural competency training for ourselves and our membership;
- Increase diversity in Together SC’s professional and volunteer leadership to reflect our larger community and the people we serve;
- Identify and eliminate racial and social equity barriers in our own programs, services, funding, policies, and practices;
- Create and maintain an environment of diversity, inclusion, and respect, both internally and in all aspects of our community work;
- Be forthright on tough issues that are important to our communities; and,
- Engage with or serving as a convener of diverse stakeholders, including those with lived experience, and actively participate in conversations and partnerships that develop equitable solutions to address community needs and injustices.
Each member of Together SC’s Board and staff pledges to lead by example and:
- Check our own biases and take meaningful action to understand and mitigate them;
- Initiate meaningful, complex, and sometimes difficult, conversations with our colleagues; and,
- Ask ourselves, “Do our actions and words reflect the value of inclusion?”
Invitation to Members: Together SC invites others to use this policy as a template for considering and crafting their organization’s own policy.
Nonprofit board members must carefully consider and officially vote to adopt this or a similar policy. Together SC commits to provide the tools and support organizations need to achieve their stated goals. We are all engaging in a collective journey toward racial and social equity.