SC CARES Grant Awardees Announced
Dec. 30 Update
SC Department of Administration update on the SC CARES Act Nonprofit Relief Program:
Notification to Nonprofit Relief Grant Program applicants the panel recommended to receive a grant award and who received a successful due diligence review is now complete. In accordance with Act 154, the entire $25 million has been awarded.
To view a list of 686 recipients of the Nonprofit Relief Grant Program, click here.
Please note, additional information regarding the recipients of each grant will be made available in early January.
Actual payments will occur through January 2021, based on when applicants received notification and provide payment information to receive funding.
Notification of those not receiving an award will be sent in January 2021.
As directed by the legislation, priority was given to applicants that did not receive other assistance, such as a Paycheck Protection Program loan or other CARES funds. Then, priority was given to applications for expenditures related to: (1) food assistance, including prepared meals; (2) rent or mortgage assistance; (3) utilities assistance; (4) mental health counseling; (5) health care services, including access to health care supplies, mental health, and behavioral health; (6) criminal domestic violence and children's advocacy services; and (7) arts and cultural items or activities.
The Dept. of Admin asks that you contact the Governor's Ombudsman line at 803-734-2100 with your concerns.
Dec. 17 Update
SC Department of Administration update on the SC CARES Act Nonprofit Relief Program:
(Posted 12.17.20) Review of all applications submitted for the SC CARES Act Nonprofit Relief Grant Program is now in the final stages.
All applicants who have been recommended to receive a grant award will be notified within the next two weeks, no later than Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2020.
- The Nonprofit Panel made final grant award recommendations December 10, 2020.
- For the applicants the Panel recommended, and prior to executing any agreements to award funding, a due diligence review is conducted by Guidehouse, the South Carolina Department of Administration and DOR to include a review for tax delinquencies, necessary licensure, licensure violations, etc.
- Notification to be made to all applicants the panel recommended to receive a grant award and who receive a successful due diligence review, between Dec. 18, 2020 and early January:
- Actual payments should occur in late December 2020 through January 2021.
- Notification of those not receiving an award will be sent late December 2020 into January 2021.
Having issues with the information you are receiving from the SC CARES Call Center?
The Dept. of Admin asks that you contact the Governor's Ombudsman line for escalation at 803-734-2100.
Be sure your application point of contact monitors emails and phone lines during the holidays.
Dec. 2 Update
1,590 nonprofits from across the state submitted requests for SC CARES Fund totaling $76 million, with just $25 million available. The State originally said applicants would be notified of their application status in early December. However, the Dept. of Admin is now projecting announcement of decisions by December 15th.
Nov. 4 Update - From SC Dept. of Admin
Gov. Henry McMaster and The South Carolina Department of Administration (Admin) today announced that 11,217 applications were received for the SC CARES Act grant programs for the Minority and Small Business Relief Grant Program and the Nonprofit Relief Grant Program. These programs award grant funds to small and minority businesses and nonprofit organizations to reimburse qualifying expenditures for providing services or for revenue loss due to COVID-19.
Act 154 of 2020 allocated $40 million for the Minority and Small Business Program, with grant awards ranging from $2,500-$25,000. The total number of application submissions for the Minority and Small Business program was 9,627, with a total requested amount of $213,297,112.30.
Act 154 allocated $25 million for the Nonprofit Program, with grant awards ranging from $2,500-$50,000.
The total number of application submissions for the Nonprofit program was 1,590 with a total requested amount of $75,980,037.43.
In early December, applicants will receive a notification indicating grant approval and the dollar amount of the grant. Grant awards will be issued to qualifying grant recipients by mid-December.
If other CARES Act funds are not utilized, both the Nonprofit and Minority and Small Business Grant funds are eligible to be replenished and additional grants may be distributed at a later date.
Oct. 30 Update
An updated version of the Nonprofit Relief Grant Program FAQs document was posted yesterday afternoon on the accelerateSC website. It includes answers to 17 new questions. (Remember to clear your browser's cache of cookies if you continue to pull up the earlier version.)
Here is the direct link to the document:https://accelerate.sc.gov/sites/default/files/Documents/NonprofitReliefGrantProgramFAQs.pdf
Also, the SC CARES Call Center will be open from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. tomorrow and Sunday this weekend, Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, 2020, to answer any last minute submission questions applicants may have.
Throughout the weekend, applicants will also be able to send questions to the SC CARES Center email account, which is email@example.com. Already submitted and haven’t received an answer? Submit again with “2nd attempt, etc.” in the subject line.
Together SC staff will be available to assist members only. Please text Madeleine on her cell.
Remember, the deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m., Nov. 1, 2020.
DID YOU LOSE POWER DUE TO TROPICAL STORM ZETA?
Yesterday (Oct. 29.), Tropical Storm Zeta moved through the state causing long-lasting power outages in Anderson, Greenville, Oconee, Pickens and Spartanburg counties.
Applicants in the above counties who have registered and begun the application process by 11:59 p.m., Nov.1, 2020, and who were impacted by storm-related power outages and therefore unable to complete the application by the deadline, should call the SC CARES Call Center (803-670-5170).
The SC CARES Call Center will be open on the following days:
- Saturday, Oct. 31, 2020 (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020 (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Weekdays (8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.)
WHAT NONPROFITS NEED TO KNOW TO APPLY
The SC Department of Administration (Admin) is responsible for implementing the SC CARES Nonprofit Relief Grant Program as authorized by Act 154 of 2020, will award grant funds to nonprofit organizations to reimburse qualifying expenditures for providing services or for revenue loss due to COVID-19, between March 1, 2020, and December 1, 2020.
We are updating this blog regularly as information is provided by Marcia Adams, SC Dept. of Administration's Executive Director and her team. Together SC is honored to partner with Admin to assist SC's nonprofits in receiving the aid they need to effectively serve the people of our state.
Be sure to check AccelerateSC daily for updates.
There is no benefit to submitting early. It is better to wait and be sure you have all the information you need to submit a complete application. However, absolutely no applications will be accepted after 11:59 pm on Sunday, November 1, 2020.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Nonprofit organizations that meet the following criteria:
- Must be designated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization by the IRS
- Must be in operation from September 13, 2019, to present
- Must be physically located in South Carolina (must provide address, including street address, city, and county in which they are located and a mailing address for the organization, if different)
- Must NOT be listed on the Federal debarment list on System for Award Management (SAM) website
- Must apply on their own behalf and will not be allowed to utilize a fiscal receiver for this grant
- Must be in good standing with the State and provide the following:
- Nonprofit filed the appropriate 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N
- Nonprofit is registered with the South Carolina Secretary of State, if required (i.e., charitable organization)
- Current registration letter if registered as a charity
WHAT IS COVERED?
- Up to $25 million in grant funds are available to reimburse qualifying expenditures for providing services or revenue loss due to COVID-19
- Grant awards will range from $2,500 to $50,000
- Qualifying expenditures may include:
- Organizational staffing costs (Ex. payroll and associated employee benefits, temporary and/or contract labor costs)
- Organizational operating costs (Ex. supplies, raw materials, technology, marketing, communications)
- Facility costs (Ex. rent, lease, or mortgage payments; equipment leases and purchases; utility costs)
- Personal Protective Equipment (Ex. protective/sanitation supplies and equipment, installation of protective barriers, temperature detection equipment, disinfecting services)
- Revenue loss
HOW CAN NONPROFITS USE THE GRANT FUNDS?
Grant proceeds may be used for reimbursement of qualifying expenditures incurred or expected to be incurred between March 1, 2020 through December 1, 2020.
- A qualifying expenditure is an expenditure of funds related to services provided to people in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Qualifying expenditures may also include lost revenue as a result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Qualifying expenditures do not include any expenditure that qualified the nonprofit entity to receive federal emergency relief funds, including the Paycheck Protection Program (ex. Paycheck Protection Program, etc.).
Together SC will regularly update this page. For most accurate information visit: https://accelerate.sc.gov/cares-act/applying-sc-cares-act-funds
- Online Application Form
- Step by step guide to application
- Nonprofit Relief Grant Program Design FAQs - PLEASE READ THIS DAILY FOR UPDATES.
- Nonprofit Relief Grant Program Calculation Worksheet (Posted 10.19.20)
- Nonprofit Relief Grant Program Calculation Worksheet (PDF - Posted 10.21.20)
- Helpful notes on the Nonprofit Calculation Worksheet (Posted 10.22.20)
- Worksheet Video Tutorials are available on accelerate.sc.gov
- Dept. of Admin. Contacts:
- Call 803-670-5170 between 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday. We have asked if support will be available over the weekend and will let you know once we hear.
- You may also email your questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have not heard back, please resubmit your questions and indicate in the subject line that you are resubmitting.
- Together SC and Others Offering Help with the Application Process:
- Relief Grant Assistance Contacts
- Arts organizations are encouraged to email Catherine Ntube at email@example.com with the SC Arts Commission.
- Together SC staff is now limiting assistance to its members, due to the overwhelming volumn of calls.
- October 19 – Application window opens
- November 1 – Application deadline. NO EXCEPTIONS
- November 2 to December 3 – Applications review period.
- December 8 to December 15 – Grant award notification
- Governor's Announcement, The Post and Courier, October 17, 2020