SC CARES – How to Apply for Nonprofit Relief Grants
WHAT NONPROFITS NEED TO KNOW TO APPLY
The SC Department of Administration (Admin) is responsible for implementing the SC CARES Nonprofit Relief Grant Program as authorized by Act 154 of 2020, will award grant funds to nonprofit organizations to reimburse qualifying expenditures for providing services or for revenue loss due to COVID-19, between March 1, 2020, and December 1, 2020.
We'll update this blog regularly as information is provided by Marcia Adams, SC Dept. of Admin. Executive Director and her team.
Be sure to visist AccelerateSC for lastest details.
Scroll to the end to find newest links and tools, including the application that went live October 19, 2020.
Together SC is honored to partner with Admin to assist SC's nonprofits in receiving the aid they need to effectively serve the people of our state.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Nonprofit organizations that meet the following criteria:
- Must be designated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization by the IRS;
- Must be in operation from September 13, 2019, to present;
- Must be physically located in South Carolina (must provide address, including street address, city, and county in which they are located and a mailing address for the organization, if different);
- Must NOT be listed on the Federal debarment list on System for Award Management (SAM) website;
- Must apply on their own behalf and will not be allowed to utilize a fiscal receiver for this grant;
- Must be in good standing with the State and provide the following:
- Nonprofit filed the appropriate 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N; and
- Nonprofit is registered with the South Carolina Secretary of State, if required (i.e., charitable organization).
- Current registration letter if registered as a charity; or Letter of Existence if they are a corporation
WHAT IS COVERED?
- Up to $25 million in grant funds are available to reimburse qualifying expenditures for providing services or revenue loss due to COVID-19
- Grant awards will range from $2,500 to $50,000
- Qualifying expenditures may include:
- Organizational staffing costs (Ex. payroll and associated employee benefits, temporary and/or contract labor costs)
- Organizational operating costs (Ex. supplies, raw materials, technology, marketing, communications)
- Facility costs (Ex. rent, lease, or mortgage payments; equipment leases and purchases; utility costs)
- Personal Protective Equipment (Ex. protective/sanitation supplies and equipment, installation of protective barriers, temperature detection equipment, disinfecting services)
- Revenue loss
HOW CAN NONPROFITS USE THE GRANT FUNDS?
Grant proceeds may be used for reimbursement of qualifying expenditures incurred or expected to be incurred between March 1, 2020 through December 1, 2020.
- A qualifying expenditure is an expenditure of funds related to services provided to people in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Qualifying expenditures may also include lost revenue as a result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Qualifying expenditures do not include any expenditure that qualified the nonprofit entity to receive federal emergency relief funds, including the Paycheck Protection Program (ex. Paycheck Protection Program, etc.).
Grant funds received are not be used for the same costs covered by:
- CARES Act funds (i.e. PPP, SBA EIDL, etc.);
- Other Federal grants or Loans the nonprofit has received as a result of the COVID-19 health emergency;
- Other local grants in response to the COVID-19 health emergency; or
- Business interruption insurance payments due to the COVID-19 health emergency.
- October 19 – Application window opens
- November 1 – Application deadline
- November 2 to December 3 – Applications review period.
- December 8 to December 15 – Grant award notification
- Together SC will regularly update this page. For most accurate information visit AccelerateSC.gov.
- Online Application Form
- Nonprofit Relief Grant Program Design FAQs
- Step by step video that walks through the entire application (To be posted 10.19.20)
- Nonprofit Relief Grant Program Calculation Worksheet (Downloadable excel document) (Posted 10.16.20)
- Nonprofit Relief Grant Program Overview (Updated 10.14.20)
- The SC CARES Call Center will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm at (803) 670-5170.
- You may also email your questions to: email@example.com
- Together SC and other nonprofit leaders have signed up to help with the application process. The current list can be found here.
- Nonprofit Relief Grant Program Webinar (held with groups willing to help organizations apply) (Posted 10.15.20)
- Together SC staff stands ready to help as well. Let us know if you want assistance.
- Governor's Announcement, The Post and Courier, October 17, 2020