Community Resiliency: Preparing Your Organization and Community for Natural Disasters
Session 1: July 10th from 10am to 4pm
Session 2: August 7th from 10am to 4pm
Session 3: September 11th from 10am to 4pm
In recent years, South Carolina has become accustomed to natural disasters, from historic flooding to hurricanes. Even though we are far too familiar with these experiences, do we know how to respond, withstand, and recover? Are our local communities prepared? Are organizations internally ready? What do we need to know about the short- and long-term effects of natural disasters? These are all important questions to ask and know when discussing community resiliency.
The South Carolina Association for Community Economic Development (SCACED) is hosting a 3-part training series on Community Resiliency. SBP, a national organization in community resiliency will teach participants ways to better enhance small business and organizational preparedness; shorten the recovery period; and incorporate community resiliency into the civic mindset. Attendees are certain to leave the training sessions with action-orientated intelligence and a workable framework easily implemented across various organizations.
Session 1: Organizational/Business Continuity & Train-the-trainer Homeowner Preparedness
Session 2: Train-the-trainer Individual Recovery Navigation & Best Practices for Mobilizing After a Disaster
Session 3: Strategic Process Design & Finalize and Complete Training Materials and Action Plans
Each training builds upon previous session. After session 1 and 2, there will be assignments for participants to complete and start implementing in their organization. It is highly encouraged organizations send more than one staff/board member to participate in trainings.
Each session will include a guest speaker, group collaboration and activity time, time to discuss shared experiences, and time for reviewing assignments and previous material covered.
Marly Maskill, Manager of Disaster Partnership and Training, SBP
- SBP seeks to achieve its mission via five interventions:
- Rebuild homes quickly after disasters by mobilizing private sector innovations and assigning a single point of contact to make the home rebuilding process faster and more predictable.
- Share rebuilding innovations with other rebuilding organizations to allow for efficient, predictable recovery on a national scale.
- Prepare home and business owners prior to and following disaster with specific steps to mitigate risk and improve resilience.
- Advise policy makers immediately after a disaster so they can deploy federal dollars sooner, and in a way that empowers an efficient recovery.
- Advocate for the reform of disaster recovery strategies in the U.S. to improve the predictability and speed of recovery.
SCACED Members and Together SC Members: $75 (price is for all three sessions)
Non-SCACED Members: $100 (price is for all three sessions)
3rd attendee from same organization will receive $10 off registration. Use the "3employeediscount" promocode at checkout.
SCACED members receive discounted tickets to CDI education programs. Interested in membership? Visit scaced.org/member-benefits.
Community Development Institute (CDI):
CDI is an initiative of SCACED which offers professional organizations and their staff an opportunity to build skills, learn from peers and connect to existing state, regional and national resources. We offer structured training sessions throughout the year and cover a broad range of topics. Learn more
Click Here to Register Now!