Date: April 28, 2017
To: All Interested Parties
From: Benjamin D. Bullock, Director of Operations, Together SC
Subject: RFP for Accounting/Bookkeeping Services
Together SC is currently seeking proposals from external accounting / bookkeeping organizations to provide such services to Together SC.
Together SC is a 501(c)3 nonprofit membership association (with over 800 members) based in Columbia, South Carolina, whose purpose is “to unite, strengthen, and advance our state’s nonprofit community, so we may enrich the quality of life for all.” Its annual budget is approximately $600,000, with a staff of 3 employees and 7+ contractors. Its revenue is earned through member dues, training fees, contracts, sponsorships, and grants. Together SC operates on a Fiscal Year ending June 30.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
We are looking for a detail-oriented, highly-knowledgeable, and reliable firm with an excellent reputation in nonprofit accounting, that is committed to serving South Carolina’s Nonprofit sector, to provide:
1) Bookkeeping Services
- Record semi-monthly payroll, benefits, and PTO information received from Together SC’s contracted Professional Employer Organization (PEO), as well as year-end functional expense allocations.
- Record vendor invoices and pay bills. A cloud-based, mobile-friendly system for reviewing and approving bills is preferred.
- Record A/R, payments, and bank deposits.
- Reconcile bank statements.
- Record deferred revenue on an annual basis.
- Maintain the chart of accounts and an orderly accounting filing system.
2) Financial Reporting
- Prepare quarterly statements of Income & Expense, Balance Sheet, and other reports as necessary for Finance Committee meetings.
- Provide other financial reports as necessary.
- Develop and post end-of-year journal entries.
- Prepare year-end balance sheet and revenue and expenditure reports for auditor.
- Provide audit process and 990 support. Audits are typically conducted from July through August.
4) Information Technology
- Provide accurate and up-to-date online access through a secure web portal to financial information.
- Ability to synch with Together SC’s YourMembership database through Quickbooks plug-in is preferred.
- Provide assistance, guidance, and reccomendations to improve internal control procedures and efficiency.
- Provide as-needed consultation on financial policies and procedures.
- Provide timely assistance on an as-needed basis.
Together SC currently uses Quickbooks, and would prefer to stay on that platform but will entertain other options. The chosen firm would be working closely with Together SC’s Director of Operations, and we expect clear and timely communication and a team effort to complete the work needed. We would need this firm in place at the start of our next fiscal year, July 1, 2017.
Please use the following format when preparing your response. Please limit the proposal to five pages (excluding attachments).
Section 1: Proposer Information: Company name, primary contact, email, phone, etc.
Section 2: Scope of work/description of services and approach to bookkeeping, accounting, and reporting services, particularly as it relates nonprofits and membership organizations.
Section 3: Firm’s qualifications: Summary of previous similar work for nonprofit organizations; proficiency with Quickbooks and YourMembership or similar Customer Relations Management software. Please include at least three nonprofit or association clients for which proposer has performed similar work as references, with current contact information for each.
Section 4: Description of cost structure that include rates for bookkeeping and CPA services, as well as a description of how fees will be charged for questions on technical matters that may arise throughout the engagement.
Attachments: Resumes and bios for the firm’s principal(s), as well as the account manager who would be assigned to this engagement. Any other materials to demonstrate capabilities and/or commitment to nonprofit organizations in South Carolina, and summary of prior involvement with Together SC.
Complete proposals are due by 5:00 pm EDT on Monday, May 15, 2017. Completed proposals should be submitted via email to Benjamin Bullock, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposals will be reviewed for completeness, experience with previous similar work, quality of references, and reasonableness of cost structure, and a strength of support of South Carolina’s Nonprofit sector, generally, and Together SC in particular. Interviews may be requested with select proposers. Selected bidder will be notified in writing by May 29, 2017. Transition work will begin on June 19, 2017.